NEWARK, N.J. (Legal Newsline) - New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa and Governor Chris Christie announced 10 citations on Thursday against unregistered home improvement contractors to protect residents who suffered storm damage after Hurricane Sandy.

The state issued civil penalties of $2,500 each against the Lawrenceville-based Tara Construction, the Elizabeth-based Sonny Signo & Sons Home Repair & Remodeling, the Philadelphia-based NE Home Improvements, the Mercerville-based Mudry Construction LLC, the Somerville-based MLA Home Improvements, also known as Mr. Yard & Home, the Highland Park-based Home Code LLC, the Trenton-based Get It Done Painting, the Fairless Hill, Pa.-based First Choice Flooring Inc., doing business as Frank White Floors, the Chesterfield-based Amidas Painting and Construction LLC, and the Piscataway-based AA Construction.

Amidas Painting and Construction LLC and Home Code LLC have since applied for reinstatement and are now registered to perform New Jersey home improvement work. First Choice Flooring Inc. and Mudry Construction LLC have applications pending with the state.

Chiesa's office teamed up with the Mercer County Office of Consumer Affairs for a July undercover initiative to ensure the credentials of contractors. The results of the inquiry are being released to ensure the protection of residents looking for contractors after the storm.

"New Jerseyans whose homes were damaged by Sandy should be on alert," Chiesa said. "Now is the time when fly-by-night, unregistered contractors will descend on storm-damaged areas, seeking to make a quick profit at the expense of homeowners. New Jersey has 42,000 duly registered home improvement contractors; there is no shortage of good, professional help. If you don't do your homework and hire a registered contractor with a good track record, you may spend thousands of dollars on a project, only to find yourself stuck with substandard, shoddy, and unsafe work."

State law requires anyone advertising or performing home improvement work to register with the state's Division of Consumer Affairs.

More News