LEXINGTON, Ky. (Legal Newsline) — Republican Senatorial candidate Rand Paul says he is “extremely disappointed in” and “condemns” the actions of a supporter who stepped on the head of a liberal activist outside of a debate Monday night.
Paul’s campaign issued a statement on its website Tuesday:
“Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign,” his campaign said.
“The Paul campaign has disassociated itself from the volunteer who took part in this incident, and once again urges all activists — on both sides — to remember that their political passions should never manifest themselves in physical altercations of any kind.”
Meanwhile, the Paul campaign volunteer who stepped on the activist’s head after she had been wrestled to the ground said Wednesday the incident was blown out of proportion — and that the activist owes him an apology.
“She’s a professional at what she does,” Tim Profitt said in an interview with Kentucky television station WKYT.
“When all the facts come out people will see that she’s the one who initiated the whole thing.”
In the interview, Profitt acknowledged that “I put my foot on her and I did push her down” as she attempted to confront Paul outside the debate but said, “I would like for her to apologize to me, to be honest with you.”
He said he believed the MoveOn.org activist, 23-year-old Lauren Valle of Washington, D.C., posed a danger to the ophthalmologist and son of Republican Congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul.
Profitt was fired Tuesday from Paul’s Senate campaign and a spokesperson for MoveOn says Valle has been released from a hospital and is recovering from injuries, including a concussion and a sprained shoulder and arm.
The Kentucky Senate race pits Democratic Attorney General Jack Conway against Paul.
A Fox News survey of 1,000 likely voters conducted Saturday shows Paul ahead of Conway 50 to 43 percent.
From Legal Newsline: Reach Jessica Karmasek by e-mail at email@example.com.